Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Grillin!!

So my friends Jennay & Gustavo sent over a box of birds for me to cook up on my new grill. 


These are small Hens, there were 5 in this box, so I got right to it. I made a marinade and did some research on how to debone them. The deboning seemed a bit fussy for a grilled item so I opted to remove the back bone only and splay them out butterfly style.

I rubbed them down with the marinade, put them into bags and set them in the fridge to absorb all the goodness for a least 4 hours.

Marinade goes as follows.
4 Tablespoons Oil ( your choice olive or canola )
a bunch of garlic pressed ( I used 6 cloves for 5 birds totaling 6.25 pounds or 2.89 kg )
3 tablespoons of Chile Powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
add whatever other spices spark your fancy for poultry. I was going for the yummy Mexi grill flavor. 
When you're ready to grill, splay the birds on your hot grill. I did about 8-10 minutes per side until the juices in the thigh areas ran clear.

The butterfly option helps to make better contact with the heat and they cook evenly and quickly. All 5 birds took about 30 minutes total in shifts.

Towards the end of cooking I threw on some radishes just for fun, they were delish grilled, try it. Jennay made Mac n Cheese to go with our meal and it was splendid, she will be blogging this recipe very soon, yes that's right Jennay I just called you out Sistah.





2 comments:

juliekdesigns said...

Yum! A box of birds is a must find! Can't wait to try this at home!!

Anonymous said...

glatiCook for you Uncle & Aunt this weekend!!